FIA WEC: A World Championship for a New Era
Photo : JEAN MICHEL LE MEUR - DPPI media
The 9th of June, 2011 will be remembered as one of the most important dates in the recent history of endurance racing. That day, at the 2011 24 Heures du Mans, Jean Todt and Jean-Claude Plassart, respectively Presidents of the International Automobile Federation (FIA) and the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO), announced the creation of the FIA World Endurance Championship.
The FIA WEC (FIA World Endurance Championship) is a logical extension of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup (ILMC), initiated by the ACO in 2010 and 2011. It also revives the historical thread of the World Championship of Brands of the 50s, 60s and 70s, the Endurance World Championship Group C of the 80s and the World Sports Car Championship of the 90s.
The birth of this new World Championship is perfectly timed. Firstly, it rewards the work of endurance racing, reclaiming its own history during the first decade of the 21st century. Also, the high quality of the grids at the 24 Heures du Mans over this period has resulted in close and exciting racing.
Environmental issues have also made endurance racing one of the most modern technology showcases of motor racing. A trend that is expected to intensify in the short term, it enables more immediate and identifiable links between the spectator and the cars on the track.
The FIA WEC represents the popularity and attraction of endurance racing today on legendary circuits (Spa-Francorchamps, Le Mans, Fuji, Interlagos, Silverstone), and those destinations where the history of motor sport is yet to develop (Texas, Middle-East, China). These are long races where anything can happen: prototypes and GTs on the same grid, in the hands of both professionals and the gentlemen drivers, who have done so much for the history of this discipline.
- 6 Hours of Silverstone6 Hours of SilverstoneCountry : EnglandDate : 20/04/2014All informations about 6 Hours of SilverstoneCircuit’s websiteTicket
- 6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps WEC6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps WECCountry : BelgiumDate : 03/05/2014All informations about 6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps WECCircuit’s website
- 24 Heures du Mans24 Heures du MansCountry : FranceDate : 14/06/2014All informations about 24 Heures du MansCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Sao Paulo6 Hours of Sao PauloCountry : BrazilDate : 31/08/2014All informations about 6 Hours of Sao PauloCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas6 Hours of Circuit of the AmericasCountry : United StatesDate : 20/09/2014All informations about 6 Hours of Circuit of the AmericasCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Fuji6 Hours of FujiCountry : JapanDate : 12/10/2014All informations about 6 Hours of FujiCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Shanghai6 Hours of ShanghaiCountry : ChinaDate : 02/11/2014All informations about 6 Hours of ShanghaiCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Bahrain6 Hours of BahrainCountry : BahrainDate : 15/11/2014All informations about 6 Hours of BahrainCircuit’s website