F1's USGP ignites enthusiasm for 6 Hours of Austin
20/11/2012 - 16h05
Photo : - LAT Photographic
The new Circuit of The Americas opened its doors last week to the FIA Formula One World Championship, and to a torrent of praise from drivers, teams, media and fans alike for the track, the support and the facilities. With the Austin, Texas track scheduled to host the fifth round of the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship, the excitement and anticipation starts to build from now!
The 3.427 mile (5.51km) layout was conceived by Tavo Hellmund and former motorcycle World Champion Kevin Schwantz, with the assistance of circuit designer Hermann Tilke. The well-known German architect also designed the Shanghai, Bahrain and Fuji Speedway (reprofiled rather than designed by Tilke) tracks visited by the FIA WEC.
Leading Formula 1 drivers were unanimous in their praise for the new US Grand Prix circuit. Lewis Hamilton and McLaren team-mate Jenson Button praised the high-speed first part of the track, which is modelled on Silverstone's famous Becketts section. Button said: "The change of direction is faster than Silverstone and that's saying something. It's fantastic."
Hamilton added: "It is a great track to drive but the whole track is very difficult. It's very tough to get all the sectors together. The first sector is the hardest with the high speed; there are several different lines you can take and it is massively quick."
With the FIA WEC and American Le Mans Series due to visit the CoTA the weekend of 21/22 September 2013, those same fans from both North and Central America are in for a feast of amazing sports prototype and GT racing. We can’t wait!
Fiona Miller (quotes from BBC Sport)
Photo: Circuit of The Americas (Austin, Texas, USA), US GP Porsche Cup support race, Saturday, 17th November 2012.
- 6 Hours of Silverstone6 Hours of SilverstoneCountry : United KingdomDate : 17/04/2016All informations about 6 Hours of SilverstoneCircuit’s websiteResults
- WEC 6 Hours of Spa-FrancorchampsWEC 6 Hours of Spa-FrancorchampsCountry : BelgiumDate : 07/05/2016All informations about WEC 6 Hours of Spa-FrancorchampsCircuit’s websiteResults
- 24 Hours of Le Mans24 Hours of Le MansCountry : FranceDate : 18/06/2016All informations about 24 Hours of Le MansCircuit’s websiteResults
- 6 Hours of Nürburgring6 Hours of NürburgringCountry : GermanyDate : 24/07/2016All informations about 6 Hours of NürburgringCircuit’s websiteResults
- 6 Hours of Mexico6 Hours of MexicoCountry : MexicoDate : 03/09/2016All informations about 6 Hours of MexicoCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Circuit of The Americas6 Hours of Circuit of The AmericasCountry : United StatesDate : 17/09/2016All informations about 6 Hours of Circuit of The AmericasCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Fuji6 Hours of FujiCountry : JapanDate : 16/10/2016All informations about 6 Hours of FujiCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Shanghai6 Hours of ShanghaiCountry : ChinaDate : 06/11/2016All informations about 6 Hours of ShanghaiCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Bahrain6 Hours of BahrainCountry : BahrainDate : 19/11/2016All informations about 6 Hours of BahrainCircuit’s website