Porsche unveil new 911 RSR at Paul Ricard
28/03/2013 - 16h08
Photo : Alexander Herold - Alexander Herold www.einherold.de
Porsche today unveiled its new GT light weight race car for the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) and the Le Mans 24 Hours at the Paul Ricard track in Le Castellet, France.
The new 911 RSR is characterised by consequent lightweight design and sophisticated aerodynamics. The exceptional vehicle styling honours a very special anniversary: From a bird’s eye perspective, the numbers 50 and 911 are visible. These stand for 50 years of the Porsche 911. The Porsche AG Team Manthey works squad will exclusively field two Porsche 911 RSRs in the 2013 season.
The new 911 RSR, which is based on the seventh generation of the iconic 911 sports car, follows in the footsteps of its successful predecessor, the 911 GT3 RSR. As with the production vehicle, the wheelbase grew by about ten centimetres. A new wish-bone front suspension replaces the previously used McPherson struts. Another new development from Porsche Motorsport is the particularly lightweight racing gearbox. The six gears are selected via paddles on the steering wheel. The 460 hp, 4.0-litre six-cylinder boxer engine was taken from its predecessor and optimised in detail.
One of the priorities in the development of the new 911 RSR was a more evenly balanced weight distribution. The centre of gravity is also significantly lower than that of its predecessor. Carbon fibre played a crucial role in the new design. The front and rear mudguards, front and rear lids, doors, underbody, wheel arches, rear wing, dashboard and centre console are constructed from the very light and strong material. Moreover, all windows are made of particularly thin and light polycarbonate. Also contributing to the weight reduction is the lithium-ion battery known from the GT road-legal models.
The look of the new 911 RSR is dominated by the flared mudguards and the deep cooling air intakes at the front. With the new air ducting, the radiator is now centrally-located in the front and even more effective than in the previous model. At the same time, the cockpit air conditioning has been made more efficient. The quick-change concept of the body parts was specially adapted for endurance racing, allowing for easier maintenance and shorter repair times. The front end, front lid and rear panel are fitted with quick release systems and can be replaced within seconds.
Competing in the Porsche 911 RSR with starting number 92 are Porsche works drivers Marc Lieb (Germany) and Richard Lietz (Austria), who already shared a cockpit in the 2012 WEC. At the first two races of the season in Silverstone (14 April) and Spa (4 May) as well as at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (22 June), they will receive support from their works driver colleague Romain Dumas (France). Factory pilots also drive the #91 sister car, with Joerg Bergmeister (Germany) and Patrick Pilet (France) making up a team. In Silverstone, Spa and Le Mans, the duo is joined by Timo Bernhard (Germany).
From Porsche Motorsport press release
Photo: The new Porsche 911 RSR and drivers (left to right) Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Pilet, Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas, Richard Lietz, Marc Lieb.
To see a video of the presentation and unveiling on the FIA WEC YouTube channel, click here.
- 6 Hours of Silverstone6 Hours of SilverstoneCountry : United KingdomDate : 17/04/2016All informations about 6 Hours of SilverstoneCircuit’s websiteResults
- WEC 6 Hours of Spa-FrancorchampsWEC 6 Hours of Spa-FrancorchampsCountry : BelgiumDate : 07/05/2016All informations about WEC 6 Hours of Spa-FrancorchampsCircuit’s websiteResults
- 24 Hours of Le Mans24 Hours of Le MansCountry : FranceDate : 18/06/2016All informations about 24 Hours of Le MansCircuit’s websiteResults
- 6 Hours of Nürburgring6 Hours of NürburgringCountry : GermanyDate : 24/07/2016All informations about 6 Hours of NürburgringCircuit’s websiteResults
- 6 Hours of Mexico6 Hours of MexicoCountry : MexicoDate : 03/09/2016All informations about 6 Hours of MexicoCircuit’s websiteResults
- 6 Hours of Circuit of The Americas6 Hours of Circuit of The AmericasCountry : United StatesDate : 17/09/2016All informations about 6 Hours of Circuit of The AmericasCircuit’s websiteResults
- 6 Hours of Fuji6 Hours of FujiCountry : JapanDate : 16/10/2016All informations about 6 Hours of FujiCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Shanghai6 Hours of ShanghaiCountry : ChinaDate : 06/11/2016All informations about 6 Hours of ShanghaiCircuit’s website
- 6 Hours of Bahrain6 Hours of BahrainCountry : BahrainDate : 19/11/2016All informations about 6 Hours of BahrainCircuit’s website