Top 10 tips for surviving at Le Mans!
Whether you are a competitor, a member of the media or organisation, a fan at the track or watching from afar, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is a marathon of endurance. Here are some top tips for surviving in one piece!
Whether you are a competitor, a member of the media or organisation, a fan at the track or watching from afar, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is a marathon of endurance.
Never mind the 24 hours of racing itself, the build-up to this prestigious third round of the FIA WEC begins on the Sunday prior to the race with technical and administrative scrutineering checks taking place at Place de la République in the centre of Le Mans.
Back at the Circuit des 24 Heures there are official photographs, autograph sessions, preparations, practice and qualifying and, of course, the incredible drivers’ parade in the centre of Le Mans on Friday evening. Then of course there’s the race itself beginning at 15h00 on Saturday and ending 24 hours later, although teams will be at the track from 07h00 onwards on Saturday and not finish packing up until well into the evening on Sunday…
So here are a few tips for surviving the long week of Le Mans!
- Pace yourself – don’t use up all your energy too early on and get as much sleep as you can, when you can
- Download the FIA WEC / Le Mans 24 Hours App so you can keep up to date with all the action
- If you are at the track, don’t forget your toothbrush and toiletries for that much needed ‘freshen up’ on Sunday morning
- Don’t drink too much coffee or too many energy drinks
- Don’t eat too much carbohydrate during the race – it makes you sleepy. Fuel up often on light meals
- Twitter is often the first place you learn about news – keep checking @FIAWEC / @24heuresdumans (FR) / @24hoursoflemans (EN)
- Bring portable phone chargers!
- Add @fiawec_live and @fiawec_live_fr as these are the live tweets that go race long
- Keep a sense of humour at all times, especially when all around you are tired and emotional
- Enjoy every minute...it will be over faster than you can imagine!