Getting to know: Sébastien Buemi
As part of a new regular “getting to know” series on FIAWEC.com, we spoke to several of our drivers across the LMP and GT classes to find out a little bit more about the men behind the helmets.
First up in our series is Toyota Gazoo Racing’s Sébastien Buemi, below is what he had to say.
1. Hi Séb, what is your earliest memory?
“I think it was driving my go-kart for the first time when I was around five years old.”
2. If you could invite three people (dead or alive) to a dinner party, who would they be and why?
“I would invite Roger Federer, because of his longevity in the sport and what he has achieved. I’d also ask Ayrton Senna to discuss his qualifying laps and Neil Armstrong to chat about how it felt like to be the first person on the moon.”
3. What’s your favourite food?
4. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
“I have always been told not to say what your wishes are but I am sure you can guess it... we have a big race in September.”
5. Can you tell us something that we wouldn’t know about one of your team-mates?
“At each race event we have a simulator in the drivers’ room and José is definitely driving more laps on it compared to the real car. Kazuki sleeps easily another three hours during the day at the track. Also, we have a game between us drivers - when we go for dinner together we play "the card game". We put everyone's credit card in a basket and we ask the waiter to pick one up. The card he picks up has to pay for everyone!”
6. If you could be a professional at any other sport what would it be and why? Similarly, if you could attend any sporting event in the world that you haven’t already been to, what would it be?
“I would love to be a good tennis player. I love watching it on TV. I have never been to the Olympic Games so I clearly need to attend one day.”
7. What’s your most embarrassing moment?
“In a car, definitely crashing on the lap to grid in GP2 in 2008 in Silverstone. I was starting from P4 and I never made it to the grid...”
8. What’s your favourite film and favourite actor?
“Morgan Freeman, but my favorite film is Seven.”
9. Do you have any bad habits?
“I spent too much time on my phone.”
10. Finally, can you tell us a joke? (Keep it clean please!)
“I have no clean ones… sorry!”