Getting to know: Darren Turner
As part of a regular “getting to know” series on FIAWEC.com, we spoke to several drivers across the LMP and GT classes to find out a little bit more about the men behind the helmets.
Second up in our series is Aston Martin Racing’s Darren Turner, below is what he had to say.
1. Hi Darren, what is your earliest racing memory?
“Going to watch the trucks racing at Brands Hatch, I think it was in 1984 when I was about 10.”
2. If you could invite three people (dead or alive) to a dinner party, who would they be and why?
“Ricky Gervais, because he’s funny and my wife. Then also Neil Armstrong because I would love to talk to someone who lived around that time, living the experience that he did, when it was all trial and error. They were incredibly brave - bolting themselves into a rocket and firing themselves off into the void! Back then when they didn’t have all the technology that we have now... it’s amazing to think about what they did.”
3. What’s your favourite food?
4. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
“More time to tinker about in my garage.”
5. Can you tell us something that we wouldn’t know about one of your team-mates?
“Jonny [Adam] doesn’t like crisps. He has a phobia of crisp packets.”
6. If you could be a professional at any other sport what would it be and why? Similarly, if you could attend any sporting event in the world that you haven’t already been to, what would it be?
“Golf, because I am not very good at it and I love walking! I would also love to be ringside at a world heavyweight boxing match.”
7. Do you have any weird habits?
“I salute magpies when I see them, as a superstition. I was once doing a test in a Formula First and I saw a magpie just as arrived at Druids (at Brands), I saluted it and then I went off.”
8. What’s your favourite film and favourite actor?
“Jessie Buckley from Wild Rose, and my favourite film is seven.”
9. Do you have any bad habits?
“I eat far too many sweets.”
10. Finally, can you tell us a joke? (Keep it clean please!)
"A horse walks into a bar. The barman says: ‘Why the long face?’
Missed our getting to know Sébastien Buemi story? Catch up HERE.