FP1: JOTA set pace in incredibly close first FP session
Local hero Antonio Felix da Costa set the fastest time of the opening 90-minute session for round two of the 2021 FIA World Endurance Championship at the 8 Hours of Portimao, while Porsche continues to head the LMGTE Pro class.
Da Costa’s best lap in the JOTA LMP2 entry is just 0.029s faster than the chasing pack with the top ten covered by less than a second.
The session at a glance:
• Alpine Elf Matmut lead Hypercar class as Nicolas Lapierre peaks on a 1m33.781 as the French squad lead both Toyota GR010 Hybrids
• Sebastien Buemi set a time of 1m33.800s just 0.029s off Lapierre’s best
• No.7 Toyota is third with Kamui Kobayashi turning in a 1m33.807s
• Glickenhaus Racing makes debut with striking Glickenhaus 007 Hypercar and Richard Westbrook peaks on a 1m34.789s to carve strong foundation for US-entered team
• No.92 Porsche GT Team 911 RSR–19 driven by Kevin Estre sets quickest time of 1m40.227s to head sister car driven by Gimmi Bruni who sets a 1m40.389sbest
• AF Corse Ferrari 0.4s off Porsches as No.51 488 GTE Evo of James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi leads No.52 car of Miguel Molina and Daniel Serra
• Da Costa’s searing lap sees JOTA top the LMP2 class as well as overall pace setters
• The Portuguese driver’s time of 1m33.752s sees him lead the Inter Europol Competition by 0.2s
• Alex Brundle sets early session best as Dutch team shows improved form from Spa
• DragonSpeed USA place third as Ben Hanley sets a fastest time of 1m34.268s to make strong start for car he shares with Juan Pablo Montoya and Henrik Hedman
• Reigning champions, United Autosports USA are fourth but just 0.026s off third place
• LMGTE Am class is topped by the No.77 Dempsey-Proton Racing Porsche as Matt Campbell continues potent form by setting class best of 1m41.202s
• Andre Piccini places second in No.60 Iron Lynx Ferrari 488 GTE Evo just 0.224s behind Campbell
• Third is the No.56 Team Project 1 Porsche which was re-built after Spa accident last month. Matteo Cairoli sets time of 1m41.484s
Tomorrow’s FP session will commence at 09h35 local time.