Monza FP1: Toyota on top; Ferrari 1-2 in LMGTE Pro
Preparations for the WEC 6 Hours of Monza began on Friday afternoon with Toyota Gazoo Racing 1-2 on the timing screens as the No.7 Toyota GR010-Hybrid driven by Jose-Maria Lopez set an early benchmark time of 1m38.401s.
Ferrari also claimed a conclusive 1-2 in LMGTE Pro as Miguel Molina led the way in the No.52 AF Corse Ferrari 488 GTE Evo he shares with Daniel Serra.
The session was extended after a lengthy red flag period to retrieve damaged Cetilar Racing Ferrari.
Below are the main headlines from FP1…
• No.7 Toyota GR010-Hybrid Hypercar of Jose-Maria Lopez peaks early with a 1m38.401s lap to lead No.8 sister car by just 0.134s
• A 1m38.583s best from Nicolas Lapierre ensures that the Alpine ELF Matmut squad is right on Toyotas tail once again
• Just 0.152s covers the top three in Hypercar!
• Glickenhaus Racing, running two of its striking Glickenhaus 007 LMH designs for the first time, places fourth and fifth as it continues to develop and build on its potential
• Ferrari secures 1-2 placing with the No.52 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo driven by Miguel Molina who sets top time, stopping the clocks at 1m46.329s
• Molina outpaces stablemate car, the No 51 machine driven by James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi as they peak on a 1m46.700s best
• No.92 Porsche 911 RSR-19 of Kevin Estre and Neel Jani are third ahead of No.91 car of Gimmi Bruni and Richard Lietz
• United Autosports USA at the top again as returning Filipe Albuquerque sets quickest of the 90-minute session with a 1m39.373s best
• Nyck de Vries, who was a late replacement for Job van Uitert this weekend, places the racing Team Nederland entry second on 1m39.837s
• Third in class is the DragonSpeed USA car as Ben Hanley stops the clocks on a 1m40.075s lap
• Team Project 1’s Riccardo Pera sets a blistering time on a 1m47.194s as local ace to heads of the Ferrari challenge on the Prancing Horses’ home turf
• No.54 AF Corse entry of Francesco Castellacci, Thomas Flohr and Giancarlo Fisichella is second in bumper class of 16 entrants as Fisichella sets a best lap of 1m47.388s in Ferrari 488 GTE Evo
• Iron Lynx welcome strong pace as Matteo Cressoni makes it three Italian drivers setting top three best times with 1m47.479s
• Cetilar Racing face repairs to its Ferrari 488 GTE Evo after red flag inducing accident during session
FP2 commences tomorrow at 09h30 local time.