FP1: United Autosports USA tops times; Porsche 1-2 in LMGTE Pro
The first Free Practice session for the TOTAL 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, round one of the 2021 FIA World Endurance Championship, took place this afternoon amid very low temperatures.
After 90 minutes of track action, below are the main headlines from the session which was topped overall by the LMP2 car of United Autosports USA as Filipe Albuquerque sets session best of 2m04.083s.
Just 0.9s covers the top 11 cars over the course of the 90-minute session.
• Alpine Elf Matmut top all-new class as WEC action returns at Spa with Matthieu Vaxiviere setting a best lap of 2m04.335s
• The French outfit head the Hypercar class times by just 0.2s from No.7 Toyota Gazoo Racing entered GR010 driven by Jose-Maria Lopez, Mike Conway and Kamui Kobayashi
• Second Toyota of Sebastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima and Brendon Hartley third in class and 0.4 in arrears to sister car
• No.92 Porsche 911 RSR - 19 of and Kevin Estre and Neel Jani leads the sister Porsche of Gimmi Bruni and Richard Lietz by just 0.034s
• Estre’s best lap of 2m13.466s is set early in session
• Third in class was the AF Corse Ferrari entry of James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi ahead of second Ferrari of Daniel Serra and Miguel Molina
• No.63 Corvette Racing entry of Oliver Gavin and Antonio Garcia is fifth on a best time of 2m14.405s
• Filipe Albuquerque sets category and overall best time with scintillating 2m04.083s to head the times
• Second is the No.70 Real Team Racing Oreca-Gibson of Norman Nato, Esteban Garcia and Loic Duval. Nato though stops his car on track after just 25 minutes and car takes no further part in session
• JOTA are third with No.28 car with hometown hero Stoffel Vandoorne setting a best of 2m04.475s. But team-mate Sean Gelael stops at T18 in final moments of session
• No.56 Team Project 1 Porsche fastest in LMGTE Am as Matteo Cairoli peaks on a 2m13.941s lap in car he shares with Egidio Perfetti and Riccardo Pera
• No.77 Dempsey Proton Porsche of Jaxon Evans, Matt Campbell and Christian Reid is second ahead of sister No.88 car driven by Marco Seefried, Alessio Picarielo and Andrew Haryanto
Click HERE for times from the session.
Tomorrow’s FP2 will take place at 09h30 – 11h00 local time.